Benefits of Surya Namaskar
The Sanskrit name Surya here refers to the sun and namaskar means salutations. The sun symbolizes spiritual consciousness and in ancient time was worshipped on a daily basis. In yoga, the sun is represented by Pingala Nadi (Right Channel), the pranic channel which carries the vital, life-giving force.
Balancing Energy System
This dynamic group of asanas is not a traditional part of hatha yoga practices as it was added to the original asana group at a later time. Surya namaskar is a complete sadhana. It is an excellent group of asanas with which to start morning practice. Surya namaskar has a direct vitalizing effect on the solar energy of the body which flows through pingala nadi, whether it is underactive or overactive. Regulation of pingala nadi leads to a balanced energy system at both mental and physical levels.
It is an effective way of loosening up, stretching, massaging and toning all the joints, muscles and internal organs of the body. its versatility and application make it one of the most useful methods of including a healthy, vigorous and active life, while at the same time preparing for spiritual awakening and the resulting expansion of awareness.
- It strengthens the back and helps balance the metabolism.
- It stimulates and balances all the systems of the body, including the reproductive, circulatory, respiratory and digestive systems.
- Its influence on the endocrine glands helps to balance the transition period between childhood and adolescent in growing children.
- it ensures breathing as deeply and rhythmical as possible.
- Increases mental clarity by brining fresh, oxygenated blood to the brain.
- Shouldn’t be practiced if a fever, acute inflammation, boils or rashes occur due to excess toxins in the body. When the toxins have been eliminated, the practice may be resumed.
- Shouldn’t be practiced by people suffering fro high blood pressure, coronary artery disease, weak heart or blood vessel system, in case of hernia or intestinal tuberculosis.
- People with back conditions should consult a medical expert before commencing this practice.
- During pregnancy, it may be practiced with care until the beginning of the twelfth week.